|GAMBLING ADDICTION AND THE SOBER COMPANION
It seems that every day, there is a new advertisement for some new gambling mecca. Whether it's Las Vegas, Atlantic City, Monte Carlo, or one of the dozens of Indian Gaming Resorts, these places are sold as fantastic, fun-filled family adventures.
For a gambling addict, or for a person who is obsessively gambling to cover up sadness, loneliness, depression, or isolation, nothing could be further from the truth.
Sober Champion serves obsessive, compulsive gamblers in much the same way we serve all our clients: 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. As long as you need our help, we will be by your side to prevent you from starting that cycle all over again.
Not all Sober Companions are equipped to deal with a real gambler. Gambling addiction is similar enough to other addiction that many folks think that what works for a drunk will work for a gambler. It just isn't true.
Sober Champion has developed relationships with several nationally-recognized residential and outpatient providers who specialize in helping people suffering from this particularly destructive habit. Sometimes, we refer clients to residential treatment when intensive work must be done and when the client can afford to take the time out of his or her life.
For the gambler, however, the truth usually is that they simply cannot afford to take a "time-out" for a month or two. There are demands placed on people in this situation which demand immediate resolution. Sometimes (more often than most will admit) gamblers are facing serious criminal charges and often have incurred debts from non-traditional sources - debts which MUST be repaid with all due alacrity.
In cases we have handled so far, the gambler has attained the ability to generate income to settle his debts from a legitmate source. The problem is this: as soon as he gets his hands on cash, he is gambling, the money is gone, and troubles mount. How can a Sober Companion help the gambler?
- We stay with our clients day and night.
- If the client must use the internet for business, we supervise their access - full-time.
- If the client must travel for business, we will be right next to him all the way there and all the way back. In a meeting, the client may present his sober companion as an associate, an assistant, a partner...whatever works best for the client.
- If the client must use the phone for business, we supervise all calls at all times.
- No client is allowed access to a cellular phone, not even for text messaging, without our supervision.
- If necessary, we will subcontract protective services for our clients who are in immediate trouble.
- We have the ability to relocate our clients, for brief periods of time, so they can work on getting their affairs back in order and return to a more productive life.
Compulsive gambling is dangerous. It can be lethal. Its treatment can be dangerous, too. We do not take this type of work lightly, and we turn down more requests than we fill.
If you require the assistance of a sober companion for your gambling problem, do yourself a favor and give us a call.